Thursday, June 2, 2011

How do I make a .ICO file work for a desktop icon in windows XP? I googled it, and got no help..what do you do?

They make it sound simple; like you just save an image, change icon, and select that image. Oh, no, no it's not near that simple. T_T



I changed it to .ICO and saw it in the list, but it still said the file contains no icons. how do I do this with no downloading of programs?



Thanks.How do I make a .ICO file work for a desktop icon in windows XP? I googled it, and got no help..what do you do?
Creating your own XP icon:

Take the foto you want as an icon; process/save as an %26quot; .ico %26quot; file.

I use %26quot; irfanview %26quot; for this, but other app's will do it also.

With the image open, File%26gt; Save as...%26gt; select from drop menu '.ico' %26gt; OK out.



Note that large fotos, with lots of detail tend to get 'washed' out, so your end product may not be quite what you envision.

Put that new image into 'icons' folder:

Icons folder:

My computer%26gt; 'c' drive%26gt; Windows%26gt; System 32%26gt; Icons



Back on the desktop, right click the current icon to be changed%26gt; Properties%26gt; Change Icon%26gt; Browse...%26gt; navigate to the Icon folder %26amp; select...



http://www.irfanview.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment