Thursday, September 22, 2011

How do i change my hard drive's icon?

In 'My Computer' my hard drive shows up as an ugly icon (its the general 'file' icon that windows assigns to a file type/etc. that it does not recognize) however I want to change it so when I plug it in I see a different icon. I've opened Properties and tried to use the customize picture function but that never seems to work. can someone help me change the icon???How do i change my hard drive%26039;s icon?
you can't do it easily without a registry hack but there is a cheating way to change your hard drive icon.

first open notepad and type this or copy it into a notepad window



[autorun]

ICON=\ICONFOLDER\ICONNAME.ICO



save the text file as autorun.inf into the root directory or it won't work

Next make a new folder in the root directory and call it iconfolder place the icon you want to use in the icon folder, change the name of iconname.ico in the autorun file to the name of your icons file name you want to use now reboot if you've done everything correctly the harddrive icon will have changedHow do i change my hard drive%26039;s icon?
this is all you need, just follow the instructions here, you can change icon of any drive

here is the link

http://tech-hutblog.blogspot.com/2007/04



vote the answer if found helpfulHow do i change my hard drive%26039;s icon?
This is going to sound a bit vague, but I don't know what OS you are running so I will give directions as best I can.

Go to the desktop right click and open properties, or personalization. This can also be found in Control Panel in the list too.

Once you can find the menu to change the desktop and system folders you may also find the %26quot;Change Icons%26quot; button to change the icons.

Once done you should be able to select the My Computer, or even the C:/ and change the icon to a small image you like. If not then that image may either be the wrong style, type or it may just be unavailable or unable to be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment